NEWPORT – Newport Hospital & Health Services recently welcomed new leadership to Pend Oreille Health District and to the Newport community.
· Shawna Beese-Bjurstrom, Chief Operating Officer (http://i50.tinypic.com/35hl8p5.jpg) – Shawna Beese-Bjurstrom started her health care career as a critical care nurse in both the Cardiac ICU and Pediatric ICU. She later advanced her career into progressive levels of management in Cardiac Services and served for two years as a certified Change Facilitator for Providence of Eastern Washington. Her most recent position, prior to her appointment as Newport Hospital & Health Services Chief Operating Officer, was the Director of Business Development at Deaconess Medical Center. She comes to Newport with a degree in nursing from Gonzaga University and an MBA from the University of Phoenix.
· Buzz Price, Materials Manager (http://i47.tinypic.com/303guvo.jpg) - Before coming to NHHS, Buzz Price was a hospital district commissioner for the past 18 months, and a Pend Oreille County/Cusick resident for 5 years. During those 5 years, he purchased and managed several residential rental properties, managed investments, and designed and constructed a private “mini-dorm” for the Gonzaga University community. Prior to moving to Pend Oreille County, Price worked in tech manufacturing in Silicon Valley for 25 years, specializing in originating “from-scratch” production and materials operations for high-tech startup companies. Price has a degree in Industrial Engineering from Stanford and an MBA from Santa Clara University.
· Debra Bergeman-Chitwood, RN, River Mountain Village Manager (http://i50.tinypic.com/2i7b5sw.jpg) - Originally from Indiana, Debra Bergeman-Chitwood and her family moved to Northern Idaho 14 years ago. Debra’s nursing career has included Pulmonary / Respiratory Care at Sacred Heart Medical Center and Oncology at Deaconess Medical Center. She also worked at Hospice of Spokane as a Case Manager Registered Nurse for 5 years prior to accepting the position of RN Manager at River Mountain Village. Bergeman-Chitwood attended the nursing program at North Idaho College and furthered her education at Lewis Clark State College.
· Collette Meyers, RN, Long Term Care Director (http://i46.tinypic.com/2wlzjnt.jpg) – Originally from California, Collette Meyers’ devotion to raising her family meant her career varied from serving in the geriatric/Alzheimer’s population, performing in education/seminar presentation venues for communities and colleges, and applying her hand as the Director of Nursing Services at Woodbury University in Burbank, California. After Meyers and her family moved to Newport, she applied her skills as the Residential Care Coordinator at the hospital for three years before her promotion to Long Term Care Director. Meyers has a nursing degree from Pierce College in Woodland Hills, California and a bachelor’s degree in Nursing with a Public Health Specialty.
· Jenny Houck, Foundation Director (http://i47.tinypic.com/3480v94.jpg) – Prior to her Newport relocation, Jenny Houck taught for 7 years with the Community Colleges of Spokane. Houck also served as an adjunct faculty member for the Communication Arts Department at Gonzaga University. Houck’s foundation history includes special events planning with the Deaconess Medical Center Foundation and Valley Hospital Foundation. In addition to working with the NHHS Foundation, Houck will also take on the hospital’s marketing needs. She has a bachelor’s degree in Public Relations/Advertising and a master’s degree in Communication and Leadership Studies from Gonzaga University.